When we’re looking for a new kitchen, we want it looking good, lasting a long time and a reasonable price. Our choice is going to balance those three factors. Painted kitchen cupboards, for instance, aren’t going to be cheap, but we’d assume there’ll be pros as well as cons.
The pros of painted kitchen cupboards
- The big plus you’ll get is the quality of the finish. Painted wood or painted MDF has a smooth, silky look and feel. The cheaper options, such as vinyl, foil or PVC wrapped doors, can’t quite live up to that finish.
- During the life of your kitchen, you may want to change the colour. Perhaps you’ll get tired of the colour you chose, or perhaps it’ll go out of fashion. Unlike the cheaper alternatives, which can’t be changed, painted kitchen cupboards can be easily repainted.
- One of the factors we want from a kitchen is that it lasts, a big advantage of painted kitchen cupboards. Unlike vinyl, foil or PVC wrapped doors, painted wood or MDF will never peel.
- Kitchen cupboards can easily get chipped, scratched or nicked, which can make them look old earlier than they should. All you need is to keep a small pot of the original paint, and you can touch in any blemish.
The cons of painted kitchen cupboards
- Although chips are easier to repair on painted kitchens than on the cheaper types, they do happen more often. The vinyl, foil or PVC wrapped types tend to be tougher.
- Like any luxury choice, painted kitchens are more expensive than the alternatives. The price can be kept down if you use the right showroom, but it’ll always be on the high side.
- If you go for a painted kitchen, you’ll be facing longer lead times. With several coats of paint, and time in between for each to dry, that’s inevitable. While the cheaper cupboards may take 2-3 weeks, you’re likely to be waiting 4-5 weeks for painted cupboards.
Should you choose painted kitchen cupboards?
There are both pros and cons for painted kitchen cupboards — it really depends on what your priorities are. If you want your cupboards cheap and to have them quickly and needing less maintenance, they’re probably not for you. If you have the budget and don’t mind waiting or occasional touching in nicks, they’re a great option. You can look forward to a stylish kitchen.
Our FREE service recommends the best value kitchen suppliers in your area.
We’ll recommend local showrooms whose kitchens cost similar to the chains & trade only suppliers, but are higher quality & will last much longer.
We’ll recommend the best value German kitchen suppliers. Many of them also cost similar to the chains & trade only suppliers.
We’ll recommend local showrooms whose bespoke shaker kitchens are comparable in quality to places like Tom Howley & Harvey Jones, but cost a fraction of the price.
But don’t just take our word for it, check out what our customers say below:
“The kitchen your guys came up with is far more competitive than anything I have had quoted so far and the quality is in a different league”
Samantha Michaels, Watford, Herts
“The price was similar to builders merchants & DIY chains, but the kitchen was much better quality”
Andrew Scott, Wivenhoe, Essex
“I had a quote for a very expensive Harvey Jones kitchen and they did the same for about a third less!”
Marguerite Mosafi, London NW11